Magic Online Weekly Announcements, October 24, 2023
Posted on Oct 24, 2023
Cube Spotlight Series: Frank Lepore’s Innistrad Horror Cube Rolls On
We’ve procured a special Cube to play on Magic Online in the run-up to Halloween. Longtime streamer Frank Lepore’s Innistrad Horror Cube includes cards from all 9 sets (Commander, too) featured in the Gothic horror home of Magic: The Gathering, plus some guest stars from other planes!
Read all about this play experience in Frank’s article (it also has the full card list), then join in the fun for one more week until November 1st at 10 a.m. PT (17:00 UTC). We’ll have the usual Swiss League and single-elimination queue options. Entry options are 10 Event Tickets or 100 Play Points.
Note: Due to the discovery of some bugs materially affecting the format, five cards have been swapped out of the Cube. Click the article link and scroll to the list at the bottom to see these changes.
Innistrad Horror 64-Player Elimination Drafts This Weekend
As another experiment, we are going to mix and match event types for the Innistrad Horror Cube over its second week. A 64-Player Elimination Draft will be scheduled at the bottom of every hour during our busy periods starting tomorrow, October 25 at 10:30 a.m. PT (17:30 UTC). At other times of day, the events will be spaced out every two hours. Here’s the timetable - times listed in PT and UTC):
- Wednesday, October 25: Hourly 10:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (17:30-03:30 next day UTC); 10:30 p.m.
- Thursday through Tuesday, October 26-31 (all times Pacific): 12:30 a.m.; 2:30 a.m.; Hourly 4:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (11:30-03:30 next day UTC); 10:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 1: 12:30 a.m.; 2:30 a.m.; Hourly 4:30-9:30 a.m. (11:30-16:30 UTC)
Other event details can be found on the MTGO Limited Events page.
Super League Rolls On – Wednesdays at 1pm PT
One of Magic Online’s most popular streams is back – Super League Season 1 continues every Wednesday at 1 p.m. PT (4 p.m. ET / 20:00 UTC). Catch all the action at twitch.tv/officialmagiconline or twitch.tv/anzidmtg. 16 Magic: The Gathering celebrities compete over 12 weeks to determine who reigns supreme in the ever-evolving Modern format.
In Week 8, Mason Clark and Kanister did enough to reach the Playoffs starting this week – one step away from the Top 8! Meanwhile, Carolyn Pardee and Carmen Klomparens (filling in last-minute for Simon Nielsen) were eliminated from this season’s competition.
We are down to 12 as the League enters its next phase: Last Chance Pods!
Here’s where everyone stands:
Four players have already reached the Top 8 – Nathan Steuer, Jesse Robkin, Jim Davis, and Reid Duke.
The other four places will be doled out in Weeks 9 and 10 – two per episode.
In Week 9, will it be CalebDMTG, d00mwake, Kanister, or AspiringSpike sliding into the Top 8? The first three of that group battled together in Week 4 with Caleb emerging victorious.
Tune in to check out who will make the final bracket and who will be sent packing!
Two More RCQs This Weekend
Four more invitations to next year’s first Regional Championship round are at stake across two Qualifiers this weekend:
- First up is a Limited Qualifier this Friday, October 27 at 2 p.m. PT (21:00 UTC). It features Wilds of Eldraine Sealed Deck with Top 8 Draft
- Then it’s the Pauper Qualifier on Saturday, October 28 at 7 a.m. PT (14:00 UTC).
Each Qualifier can be entered only with 40 MOCS Season 3 Qualifier Points. The Top 2 finishers earn seats at the RC early next year.
For more information on these events, click the Premier Play Information link at the top of the Blog.
Alternate Play Schedule
Here’s a look at the schedule of events coming up between now and The Lost Caverns of Ixalan®. Each description mentions whether or not the Draft is Phantom – cards won’t be added to players’ collections in Phantom events. All transitions take place at 10:00 a.m. PT (17:00 UTC) unless otherwise noted.
- Now-November 1 – Frank Lepore’s Innistrad Horror Cube bedevils MTGO drafters for a full two weeks! (Phantom)
- November 1-8 – Let's kick Wilds of Eldraine draft up a notch and give it the Supreme treatment! Pick 2 cards from a pack, discard the pack, pick 2 from a different pack, etc. (Phantom)
- November 8-14 – There’s something even cooler in the works here – more details sometime next week.
Wilds of Eldraine on MTGO
Our return to the fairy-tale plane of Eldraine is now available on Magic Online! Check out our traditional set article for information on a ton of new initiatives:
- Event Updates - including boosts to core Limited events, a new super-size Modern Challenge, and more
- Commander Gauntlet and the shift in events for New Players
- Anime Borderless Art Bundles
- Commander Decks, Booster Fun, a handful of Unfinity cards, a Treasure Chest update, and more
We’ve updated our Redemption page with new quantity percentages.
WIlds of Eldraine redemption tokens are now available in the MTGO Store.
IMPORTANT: All new orders of Redemption Tokens are non-refundable!
Two-Factor Authentication Is Now Live – Protect Your Account Today!
A long-requested security feature is now part Magic Online – check out Ryan Spain’s article to learn the why, what, and how to put Two-Factor Authentication into effect to help protect your account!
Magic Online Format Challenges Every Weekend
Format Challenges are the first step toward qualifying for Premier Play through your favorite Magic formats and provide excellent prizes for those looking to test their mettle in their favorite formats. Learn more about Premier Play qualification to get started today.
Magic Online's Format Challenges run as shown on the schedule below.
On weekends featuring Showcase Challenge events, the Format Challenge that starts at either 6 a.m., 8 a.m., or 10 a.m. Pacific time is pre-empted by the Showcase Challenge; Format Challenges scheduled at other times remain in place.
- In MOCS Season 3, Vintage and Pauper Challenges are never pre-empted.
- 32-Player events require 32 players to fire and give prizes to the Top 32.
- Pauper and Vintage Challenges are always 32-Player tournaments.
- All other events listed require 64 players to fire and give prizes to the Top 64.
- 32-Player Limited Challenge events are 6 rounds with no playoff
- 64-Player Limited Challenge events are 7 rounds with no playoff
|12:00 a.m.||Vintage Challenge|
|1:00 a.m.||32-Player Limited Challenge||32-Player Limited Challenge|
|2:00 a.m.||Pauper Challenge|
|4:00 a.m.||32-Player Legacy Challenge||Modern Challenge|
|6:00 a.m.||32-Player Standard Challenge||Pioneer Challenge|
|8:00 a.m.||96-Player Modern Challenge||Legacy Challenge|
|10:00 a.m.||Vintage Challenge||Pauper Challenge|
|12:00 p.m.||32-Player Limited Challenge||32-Player Limited Challenge|
|2:00 p.m.||Pioneer Challenge||32-Player Standard Challenge|
|4:00 p.m.||32-Player Limited Challenge|
|6:00 p.m.||Modern Challenge||Modern Challenge|
Check out the Magic Online Format Challenges page for further event details.
NEXT SCHEDULED DOWNTIME – November 8, 9 a.m. to Noon PT
The next scheduled maintenance will be Wednesday, November 8 from 9 a.m. to noon PT (16:00-19:00 UTC). This is to support the release of The Lost Caverns of Ixalan®.