Holidays 2023 on Magic Online
Posted on Dec 12, 2023
By Tony Mayer
We’re closing in on the end of another great year on Magic Online and we have a number of familiar treats in store.
Starting next Wednesday, December 20, it’s the Holidays 2023 Festival! The Vintage Cube gets jumbled like a snow globe and returns for a full 5 weeks, over two dozen invitations to tabletop Regional Championships are up for grabs, and the All-Access Mythic Event Token is back in the Magic Online store.
Dive into Vintage Cube
If there is one thing we’ve learned about the Magic Online community this year, it’s that you are in love with Vintage Cube! You’ve shown it with your time played in matches and by buying and spending gobs of Event Tickets and Play Points.
So starting with this festival, we are formalizing a cadence to the Cube to help make it easier to know when it’s on – Creative Director Ryan Spain digs into the details in a Vintage Cube article that will be live this Thursday, December 14th. Then Ryan teams up with guest curator Chris Wulf to go over the changes and present the full list in another article on Friday, December 15th.
We’ll give you the weekend to digest that sweet, sweet content – then Vintage Cube events kick off next Wednesday, December 20th.
This year we have two ways to enjoy Vintage Cube League courses on the house:
- Every account active as of the time this article went live will be granted 1 Vintage Point, usable as entry for a League course during the entire five-week run through January 24th.
- If you have leftover red Season 3 Qualifier Points (earned prior to November 30th), you can spend 10 of those QPs at a time to enter the League during the first two weeks only – December 20th to January 3rd. (Note: The current, yellow Season 1 QPs are not included and aren’t combinable with red ones.)
The most powerful cards of all time in an easy-to-draft package – for five full weeks? And the first run is on the house? And the card list will be refreshed by our dynamic Cube duo of Ryan and Chris? It’ll be a great time all around!
The Appetizer – AlphaFrog Cube Continues (+ Weekly Invitational Stream)
Don’t forget, to tide you over until Vintage Cube, we have the variant that Pro players love and now occupies a weekly stream slot on our Twitch channel – it’s the AlphaFrog Cube! Try it out for yourself for one more week until December 20th – it zigs where the normal Cube zags.
Then watch the Pros battle in the AlphaFrog Invitational streaming on our Twitch channel every Tuesday afternoon at 1 p.m. Pacific time (21:00 UTC). Some of the game’s biggest names take on the challenge of drafting this Cube to earn a ticket into the next week’s show.
All-Access Mythic Event Token
Are you a Mox or five short of your dream Vintage deck? Maybe you want to set up and run through your own Modern playtesting gauntlet. Or perhaps you just want to try out some quirky Commander brews, but you don’t have a deep collection. Good news, All-Access Weeks are back! From December 20 to January 3, the Mythic Event Token will be available in the Magic Online Store allowing players to use almost every card on Magic Online.
To use the Mythic Event Token, simply purchase it in the MTGO Store, build any legal deck in your chosen format, and enter a game or event. No cards will be added to your Collection, but you'll be able to play even if you don't have all the cards in your Collection.
The token is $25.00 USD and goes on-sale next Wednesday, December 20 at 10 a.m. PT (18:00 UTC). The access will last from time of purchase until January 3 at 10 a.m. PT. We'll remove all the Mythic Event Tokens from accounts and turn off All-Access at that time. If you’re still competing in a Constructed League on that day, you’ll be allowed to complete that course.
- Calling All Commander Players! This is your chance to go wild with your ideas – throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. You can even try variants in our Freeform Commander room.
- Competitive Players – this gives you the flexibility in deck choice in Leagues and Format Challenges to grind Qualifier Points.
- Everybody Else – it’s a perfect opportunity to get your friends together and battle in all sorts of casual games or dip your toes into MTGO Leagues!
You can also enter one of those Constructed Super Qualifiers mentioned below by buying a second Mythic Event Token and spending both as an entry option. Don’t worry, you’ll still have the access until January 3 even if the Token is no longer on your account in this case.
Note: Just like previous All-Access periods, certain cards (Secret Lair versions, Battlebond, and old-frame Power Nine) are unavailable. Items sold in Bundles (TRANSFORMERS, Jurassic World, Phyrexian Oil Lands, etc) are also unavailable. All-Access doesn’t apply to Limited events.
Week of Super Qualifiers
Your best chances to earn a seat at an upcoming Regional Championship are in MTGO’s Super Qualifiers.
There are seven Super Qualifier tournaments in December during the availability window of the All-Access Mythic Event Token – five Constructed and two Limited. Each event costs 40 Event Tickets, 400 Play Points, or 40 Season 1 Qualifier Points to enter. Constructed Super Qs can also be entered with 2 Mythic Event Tokens.
Note that we are on the border of Regional Championship Qualifying seasons over the holidays:
- The three events prior to Wednesday, December 27th are the last to qualify for RC Cycle 2 (feeding PT Thunder Junction).
- The four Super Qs on or after the 27th are the first to qualify for RC Cycle 3 (feeding PT Modern Horizons 3).
- There is also a regular RC Qualifier event during All-Access on New Year’s Day – that event only permits QP entries.
MTGO's Premier Play information can be found here.
Closing the Year in Style
We hope you’re excited to join us for some great gameplay as 2023 draws to an end. Whatever format you love, there’s something for you.
We’ll see you on the battlefield!